Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics

Professional practicum


Further Information

Required practicum documents

Students surveying If you are enrolled in the Bachelor of Engineering, the Bachelor of Computer Science (and degrees combined with these) or the Master of Professional Engineering, you must complete relevant, discipline-related work experience.

You will not be able to graduate until this work experience is completed and a report submitted and assessed as acceptable.

The professional practicum is a self-arranged work based placement in your discipline-related environment. The number of weeks of experience required depends on the course you are enrolled in and is detailed in the FAQ section. Once you have completed your placement(s) you will submit a report with your certificates of practical work and the practicum coversheet via LMS or to the Mechanical and Chemical School Office, depending on your specialisation. Reports can be submitted at any time but must be received by the last day of your final semester at the latest to ensure that you can graduate on time.

  1. Expected outcomes
  2. Assessment
  3. Style and format
  4. Submission
  5. FAQs

Expected outcomes

The professional practicum experience provides students with the ability to:

  • contact and liaise with employers to organise work experience
  • develop an understanding of future roles as a professional engineer
  • reflect on work experience and articulate professional benefits
  • constructively criticise workplace practices
  • communicate these ideas concisely and articulate them in the report; and 
  • perform satisfactorily as assessed by an employer

Back to top



Your report should include:

  • a short description of how you arranged your work experience
  • a short description of the employer's business and its organisation
  • a concise outline of the projects which you were involve with and what your role was in those projects
  • detailed observations of management and labour relationships
  • detailed observations of inter-professional relationships
  • a critical assessment of the value of the experience including reflection of your development as a professional; and
  • your ability to communicate professional issues within a report structure and within a stated time frame.
Reports will be assessed based on the above criteria. They will be awarded either Ungraded Pass (UP) or Ungraded Fail (UF). Unsatisfactory reports must be resubmitted until a grade of UP is awarded. Work experience that is deemed to be unsuitable for your discipline will result in a UF.

Back to top

Style and format

The literary quality of your report will have a substantial bearing on your professional reputation. You should therefore use the professional practicum report to practice appropriate structure and reporting style. Particular attention should be paid to spelling, grammar and presentation. The latter depends on planning and orderly thinking, beginning with overall layout, sorting of content, and then logical construction of paragraphs and sentences.

For details on how to write your report, see the guide to report writing.

The report must be typed and clearly laid out with headings and references. About 2000 words is a sufficient length, with diagrams and pictures to help illustrate particular points (excessive length is unnecessary). The report should include the professional practicum coversheet and certificate(s) of practical work must be completed and included as appendices to the report. These documents are available in the right hand sidebar.

Back to top


Reports can be submitted to the ECM Student Office at any time but must be submitted by the last day of your final semester at the latest in order to ensure that you can graduate on time. Please keep a copy of your report and certificates as they will not be returned.
All reports must be submitted with the following:

  • a signed professional practicum coversheet (reports without a coversheet will not be marked)
  • your report
  • original certificate(s) of practical work

Back to top


Weeks of work experience required

Course Course Code Weeks Req.
MPE 61550 12
BCompSc 60130 8
BCompSc/ BCom 61020 8
BCompSc/ BEc 61010 8
BE 60110 12
BSc/BE 51160 12
BE/BCom 61140 12
BE/BEc 61190 12
BE/BA 61110 12
61120 12
61130 12
BCM/BE 61100 12
BMus/BE 61040 12
BCompSc/ BE 61160 16


Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Computer Science or specialising in an engineering discipline from Civil, Environmental, Mining, Electrical and Electronic or Software Engineering will be automatically enrolled in an LMS unit and will need to submit the report with coversheet and certificate(s) of work performed online. If you have any problems with the online submission, please contact the ECM Student Office.

Students from Mechanical, Chemical and related engineering disciplines should submit their reports with associated documents to the Mechanical and Chemical School Office.

 All reports are due by the last day of your final semester to be eligible to graduate on time.


Students do not enrol in the professional practicum units.  Upon successful completion, the appropriate unit will be added to your enrolment and the result released together with the other enrolled units for the semester.

When to complete your professional practicum

Your practicum is your opportunity to apply the knowledge you are developing in your studies to real-world situations, so you should wait until you have completed specialisation units before you undertake your placement. For students enrolled in pre-2012 courses, you should start your placement in the final years of your course. For students in the Bachelor of Science and Master of Professional Engineering, you could start the placement after completing at least two of the level three units from your degree-specific major.

Appropriate placements

Your work placement should be relevant to the discipline you are studying and supervised by an accredited member of your industry. Your placement can be completed in Australia or overseas. If you are unsure if your placement is appropriate, please contact the ECM Student Office who will confirm with your school.

Number of placements

You can complete placements with more than one employer. A separate certificate of practical work must be completed for each work place. Your report can discuss one or all of the placements undertaken.

CEED Projects

If you are doing a CEED Project for your final year project, you are automatically credited with 8, 12 or 16 weeks work but you are still required to write up a report on the work you have done.  The certificate of practical work indicating you are doing a CEED Project needs to be handed in with your report, as an appendix.

Careers information

All students have access to UWA CareerHub (using studentID and pheme password); you can use this resource to keep up to date with current employment opportunities.  Fact sheets and workshops on resume and cover letter writing, networking, job search strategies and interview tips can also be accessed in CareerHub.  For details of other Careers Centre services refer to the Careers Centre website for further information.

Keep an eye on the ECM Extra! as the Faculty and student clubs organise a number of career information and networking sessions throughout the year.  

Members of Engineers Australia can access their annual Vacation Work Guide. This resource provides information and tips about how to apply for vacation work and profiles prominent WA companies. If you are not yet a member, you can register for free on the EA website.  

Student Plan Personal Accident Insurance 

Students are NOT covered by the UWA Insurance cover if they are getting paid for their professional practicum. If you are NOT getting paid please contact staff at the ECM Student Office who will obtain permission from your school to undertake the work experience and arrange to provide you with a certificate of University insurance.

Part-time General Service Officer First Appointment Course - Army Reservists

Students who have military experience and are enrolled in the Master of Professional Engineering, Bachelor of Engineering or a combined degree with Engineering and who have completed the Part-time General Service Officer First Appointment Course as Army Reservists will be given credit towards the work experience portion of the professional practicum of four weeks.

Students who continue in the Army Reservists in an appropriate Engineering regiment may apply for further credit towards the professional practicum based on their individual service.

Holders of military scholarships

Students who hold military scholarships may apply to the Faculty for credit towards the professional practicum, and credit will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Back to top 

This Page
Last updated:
Tuesday, 24 March, 2015 12:19 PM

Website Feedback: