The Faculty is fortunate to have many very talented researchers, excelling in their fields of interest.
Congratulations are in order for a number of Faculty staff who have received numerous prizes and awards, as well as being successful in attracting various grants.
Recent prizes and awards to Faculty staff and PhD students
The Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics has world-class academic staff, participating in a wide range of teaching and collaborative research projects. The following staff have been recognized for their excellence:
- W/Prof Cheryl Praeger - Thomas Ranken Lyle Medal (2013 Australian Academy of Science Award)
- W/Prof Eric May - Malcolm McIntosh Prize for Physical Scientist of the Year
- Assoc/Prof Ajmal Mian - 2012 WA Early Career Scientist of the Year
- Prof Herbert Iu and Prof Victor Sreerarm - 2012 IET Power Electronics Premium Award by the IET @ Michael Faraday House, London for their paper "Multiphase dc–dc converter with high dynamic performance and high efficiency"
- Lavanya Avadiar (supervised by Prof Yee-Kwong Leong and W/Prof Andy Fourie) - Graeme Jameson Award 2012 for her paper "The source of kaolin slurry rheological variation – Ca(II) concentration"
- W/Prof Eric May - finalist for the 2012 3M Eureka Prize for Emerging Leader in Sciene
- W/Prof David Sampson, Research Assoc/Prof Robert McLaughlin and W/Prof Christobel Saunders - finalists for the 2012 ANSTO Eureka Prize for Innovative Use of Technology
- W/Prof Liang Cheng, Prof Dave White and team from the UWA Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems (COFS) - winners of the 2012 Engineers Australia WA Engineering Excellence Award for 'Innovation and Development'. The team also won the Subsea Energy Australia Business Awards 'Industry Innovation and Technology' prize.
- Assoc/Prof Ajmal Mian - Nominee for WA Science Awards Early Career Scientist of the Year
- Prof Dave White - British Geotechnical Association (BGA) Medal for his paper, co-authored with Dr Johnny Cheuk (a former visitor to COFS, now with AECOM, Hong Kong) "Modelling the dynamic embedment of seabed pipelines, Geotechnique"
- W/Prof Mark Cassidy and Asst/Prof Muhammad Shazzad Hossain - Best CE Paper in the 2012 Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Texas USA
- W/Prof Karol Miller and Assoc/Prof Adam Wittek - 2012 Sir George Julius medal for their paper “Patient – Specific Model of Brain Deformation: Application to Medical Image Registration”
- Yuki Osada - 2012 Hackett Foundation Alumni Honours Scholarship.
- Dr Syed Islam - Special Commendation for the 2011 Early Researcher Award for Best Paper Accepted for Publication, "Efficient detection and recognition of 3D ears." Journal: International Journal of Computer Vision.
- Assoc/Prof Robert McLaughlin and team - National Breast Cancer Foundation Patron’s Award 2011: Innovation and Vision in Research for the work that the OBEL research group is doing on breast cancer in collaboration with Christobel Saunders and team in the School of Surgery.
- Prof David White - WA Young Scientist of the Year 2011
- W/Prof Mark Randolph - finalist in WA Young Scientist of the Year 2011
- W/Prof Lorenzo Faraone was made a Member in the General Division of the Order of Australia for "service to science as an educator and researcher, particularly in the field of micro-electronics, and to professional associations".
- OBEL postgraduate student Kelsey Kennedy - mentoring of the 2012 BioGENEius Challenge WA winner Tess Douglass.
- Eesha Patel - 2011 Lawrence Wilson Gallery Art Writing Prize for her essay on engineering and social justice.
- W/Prof Chari Pattiaratchi, Dr Sarath Wijeratn and Cyprien Bosserelle - the Kevin Stark Memorial Award for Excellence in Coastal and Ocean Engineering for their work on Port Geographe sand and seagrass wrack modelling.
- Jennifer Penton - Fremantle Ports best student paper award.
- Prof Giacinta Parish was a top 3 finalist in the Scopus Young researcher of the Year Awards: Engineering and Technology.
- W/Prof Liang Cheng and team - awarded the Innovator of the Year, Woodside Encouragement Award for their work for the UWA O-tube facility.
- Asst/Prof Qinghua Guo, Dr Peter Munro, Asst/Prof Ba Tuong Vo and Dr Ferdous Sohel - recipients of Discovery Early Career Researcher Awards (DECRA)
- W/Prof Chari Pattiaratchi, Dr Sarath Wijeratn and Cyprien Bosserelle - Institution of Engineers, Australia, Kevin Stark Memorial Award for Excellence in Coastal and Ocean Engineering 2011 for their work on Port Geographe sand and seagrass wrack modelling.
- Christopher Tyler - 2011 WA Young Professional Engineer of the Year.
- W/Prof Dongke Zhang - honoured in the Top 100 Australia's Most Influential Engineers list for 2011.
- W/Prof Mark Randolph - elected to the prestigeous Royal Society.
- Asst/Prof Shazzad Hossain and W/Prof Mark Randolph - ICE Offshore Award.
- Asst/Prof Shazzad Hossain - Trollop Medal for 2010.
- W/Prof Eric May - 2010 WA Early Career Scientist of the Year.
- W/Prof Ba-Ngu Vo, Assistant Professor Ba-Tuong Vo and Winthrop Professor Antonio Cantoni - 2010 Australian Museum Eureka Prize for Outstanding Science in Support of Defence or National Security
- Prof David White - 2010 Anton Hales Medal for Contribution to Earth Sciences.