1 - Spotlight
World leader in Engineering for Remote Operations
Our Faculty consists of multidisciplinary research groups offering integrated solutions to the ongoing challenges of engineering for remote operations.
2 - Spotlight
Leading offshore engineer recognised for excellence
Professor David White has achieved Fellowships to two of the world’s leading engineering associations for his work to the pipeline industry; the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences (ATSE) and the UK’s prestigious Royal Academy of Engineering representing leaders of the engineering profession.
5 - Spotlight
A Tiny Sensor with Massive Potential
More than a decade since MEMS sensors research began at UWA, MEMS spectrometer technology stands to revolutionize the way things are done in many fields, including agriculture, defence, and medicine.
6 - Spotlight
UWA's microscope-in-a-needle wins prestigious national award
A team of biomedical engineers and doctors from The University of Western Australia has won The Australian newspaper’s Innovation Challenge for developing the world’s smallest handheld microscope.
The Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences is a world leader in Engineering for Remote Operations (ERO).
ERO provides an integrated approach and solutions to the challenges of mining development and production, offshore engineering, agriculture, health, transport, energy, water supply and community development. It is highly relevant to Western Australia and the Indian Ocean Rim and provides clear and measurable results for economies, industry, government and the community at a local and national level.
Our Faculty has several multidisciplinary research groups with the expertise to address diverse challenges in ERO.
If you wish to explore a research opportunity with us, please complete the online EMS HDR Expression of Interest form. For further advice or information please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Advanced Sensing Technologies
- Delivering innovative sensor and monitoring systems for a range of remote applications.
- Big Data Processing and Mining
- Researching and developing technology and software tools to help address the challenges of processing high-volume, high-velocity data sets.
- Complex Data Modelling
- Offering expertise in modelling and in the understanding of complex data created by remote industrial processes.
- Engineering, Communities and Environment
- Providing engineering and environmental protection solutions for communities (both local and remote).
- Engineering System Health
- Improving the performance of remote engineering systems.
- Fluid Sciences and Resources
- Understanding fluids to optimise resource recovery and minimise environmental impact.
- Offshore Facilities and Ocean Systems
- Delivering solutions for the safe and sustainable development of resources for energy, minerals and food production in the ocean environment.
- Real-time Optimisation, Scheduling and Logistics
- Tackling some of the most challenging remote engineering automation, scheduling, and logistics problems to optimise real-time decisions and mitigate time-delay, environmental and resource related impacts.
- Robotics and Automation
Developing smarter autonomous systems.
- Structural Mechanics, Geomechanics and Computation
Ensuring the long-term stability of onshore and offshore structures in remote locations, as well as tunnels, underground opening and open pits in mining, and boreholes in petroleum and geothermal mining.
Bioengineering integrates knowledge in engineering, medicine and the life sciences.
- Bioengineering merges engineering, computing, mathematics, life sciences and medicine. We aim to create solutions to problems facing today’s society.
The Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences has international expertise in Pure Mathematics.
- Pure Mathematics
Exploring the abstract concepts that provide the foundations for developments in applied mathematics and technology.
Staff from The Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences also participate in University-wide institutes.
- Energy and Minerals Institute
- Advancing knowledge and creating solutions that deliver safe, enduring value for the world from its energy and mineral resources.
- Oceans Institute
- Capitalising on UWA's existing research strengths in areas such as oceanography, ecology, engineering, resource management, and governance and utilising them to deliver Ocean Solutions for Humanity's Grand Challenges.